Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Guaca ~~what?

Well I am proud to say that I lost 17.2 pounds.  Weighing in at 184.2 pounds, allowing for clothes that is close to 18 pounds, but I will take any number lost.  I am not fussy.  I know this will be a long journey, I did not put the weight on overnight, and well logically it will not come off overnight.  That is the problem with me, I want instantaneous results, and I am sure I am not much different from anyone else.  We have become a society of before and after, the problem for me is I seem to end up at before over and over again. The Doc. said genetics play a role in your propensity to gain weight, you know "Your Big-Boned".
 Funny thing I never viewed myself as big-boned, in fact I could convince myself of just about anything at times.  We don't always want to see the truth. The truth hurts, but it also can be the motivation to relearn all that you have been taught about food and dieting. 
  As many of you know, I am a chef and I have spent a lifetime surrounding myself with good food, so it is no surprise that I am overweight.  I have struggled my entire life with weight issues.  Having the career that I do, you'd think that I enjoyed torturing myself.  We are always learning, and I think life is one giant classroom, you learn and then move on to the next lesson. I am relearning how food works in my body. The food industry wants you to believe that eating 100 calorie snack crackers somehow helps you lose weight, but what they don't want you to know is that those same crackers can spike your blood sugar causing a short burst of energy followed by an equal decrease in blood sugar leaving you hungry, this is a vicious cycle that I know very well.  What is my solution? , it is to choose foods that will aid in the full feeling.
      Like avocados, yum..these odd little fruits also known as alligator pears bring several advantages to the dieter, its high fat content helps to satiate(feeling full) thus avoiding overeating. When we go to the supermarket we gravitate toward low-fat items and unfortunately avocados have unjustly been categorized as the culprits.  We need to reprogram ourselves, and begin to realize that fat is OK, fat will not make you fat.  Say that five times fast.

Guacamole

2 avocados, medium, peeled, pitted
1 tomato diced
3 cloves garlic minced
2 scallions chopped
1 small red onion minced
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Mash avocados and add all ingredients, and season...and serve with your favorite tortillas...also good served alongside broiled fish.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well if one has not dined well.~ Virginia Woolf

1 comments:

Dominique said...

Yes, avocados are delicious. My favorite way to eat is as follows:

Take 1-2 avocados, scoop out the green "meat", add sea salt and mash to a guacamole type consistency.
Top with generous amounts of slivered almonds and a healthy drizzle of maple syrup. Eat it with a spoon.

Post a Comment