Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Christmas Candyland

     I love the seasonal aisle of the supermarkets during this time of year.  My husband and I lingered a bit too long near the chocolates. Last year, I bought a clear Christmas tree cookie jar for which to put my special chocolates in. However, my son's buddy, Geno comes over and makes a meal out of my designer Hersey kisses, thus draining my cool chocolate. Well Jeff and I(hubby), bought some candy cane Hershey's kisses and I am waiting for Geno to sniff them out from across the street, it is only a matter of time. See, if I were Superwoman, kids would be kryptonite to me, I am defenseless against their wily ways. Our house in the neighborhood, is the house that kids played home run derby at, asked for sodas when it was sweltering outside, came to seek refuge from the elements, trick or treated first because HELLO, I love chocolate. What can I say, your only a kid for a short time, and you might as well enjoy it while you can. Only Geno has his driving permit now, yikes!! Slow down buddy, plenty of time to drive.
     Well,we purchased this new designer Hershey kiss, it has candy canes in it, wrapped in white chocolate. While I am not too fond of candy canes, somehow tradition compels me to buy,eat or use something that contains peppermint. Why??  We all know that peppermint reminds us of waiting at the doctors office, or standing in line at the bank, with nothing better to do than eat a peppermint candy, even though we knowingly dislike them. Reminds me of ice skating without socks, kinda a anti-climatic flavor that has no surprises.


     Candy canes are the signature candy to Christmas, when I see them, I think Christmas. The candy actually has a religious significance, it's signature crook resembles the shepherd's crook and were passed out during the pageants of the living nativity. The canes were pure white and it was not until the early 20th century that is got it's familiar red stripe. In fact this sweet treat has many devout connotations. Some say that the cane turned upside down is the letter J for Jesus, and the crook is symbolic of how Jesus was a "Good Shepherd", looking over the children. The candy cane is a hard candy similar to the solid foundation of the church. The flavor of the candy is like the flavor of hyssop, which in the Old Testament was used for purification and sacrifice. The pure white of the cane was representative of Jesus and his virgin birth, the bold red stripe representing the love of God, the three fine red stripes representing the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, some say that the red was the blood that was spilled by the Romans persecuting Jesus. Wow, I don't know about you?, but I have a whole new respect for the candy cane! Still better yet,there is a notion out there that the canes were given out to ensure good behaviour in church. I would believe that notion, considering that my youngest gets awfully bouncy the exact minute his bottom hits the pew? Hmmm wonder why? Note to self: Buy candy canes.
     Well let me tell you!!, I get super excited when more and more varieties of candy canes come out, in fact my husband had to pry me away from the Cinnabon candy canes, did you hear me Cinnabon candy canes!!!!, I was intrigued. I had to investigate, there are Smarties candy canes, Starburst candy canes, and of course Jolly Rancher and Hershey Chocolate Mint Candy Canes all owned by Hershey. Way better than the average run of the mill peppermint. So I thought about how I could include a recipe using candy canes and well tada.. Candy Cane White Chocolate Mousse.

Candy Cane White Chocolate Mousse

4.5 ozs of egg yolks
2.5 ozs sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp powdered gelatin
1 envelope ofArctic White Hot Cocoa Mix
1/4 cup milk
6 ozs white chocolate chips
3 ozs crushed candy cane
2 cups heavy whipped cream

In one bowl combine egg yolks, sugar and milk and whisk, set aside. In another bowl, mix the cocoa mix with the milk and then sprinkle the gelatin over the mixture and allow to bloom. Set your mixer with a whip, and whip the two cups of heavy cream until you have stiff peaks, transfer to another bowl and refrigerate. On the stove bring a saucepan with water to a rolling simmer, not a vigorous boil, just a perky simmer. In another bowl combine the white chocolate.  Over the simmering saucepan, place the bowl with the egg yolk mixture and whip until it is light and lemon colored. We do not want to scramble, we want to heat to a frothy lemon colored consistency. When a temperature of 120F is reached add to your mixer fixed with a whip, and whip on high. Meanwhile, melt the milk, cocoa and gelatin and add to the mixing egg yolks. Still yet, in the same saucepan that has been simmering melt the white chocolate. Turn the speed down on the mixer and mix in the melted chocolate.  Pull your whipped cream out of the refrigerator and fold in the white chocolate egg mixture. Finally fold in the 3ozs crushed candy canes. Serve and enjoy. :)


All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!~Charles Schulz

2 comments:

CaSaundraLeigh said...

I looove the line up of holiday candy every year. I stock up on after xmas sales to last me part of the year! I really like the sounds of the recipe too..it'd be great for a holiday party!

gina_kiss said...

yummey!!!!!!! i love Hershey's kisses

white chocolate with chocolate chip! and the caramel ones!

Post a Comment