Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Monday, November 8, 2010

Football, facebook and when's half-time?

     I was reading through my facebook page today, enjoying the updates from my friends, past and present. Funny, so many have the same theme, Football.  I watch it some, but I have to have my oldest son re-explain the rules to me every year. Otherwise, I am lost, blindly following those that are the most vocal. The one game that I actually enjoy in football is the Super Bowl, because as you might already know, I love food, and the Super Bowl is the pinnacle of great food.
     One year, I truly tried my hardest to get into the game. I had my oldest sit next to me, and occasionally I would ask "why did he do that?" or 'how come they have to go backwards?" and in his most patient voice he would say "Mom, you already asked me this."  I  love him, he realizes I am sports challenged. The thing that makes it great is not whether I understand it or not, it is making a big spread for my boys.
     I have been to one professional sporting event in my life,and it was overwhelming, to say the least. There were people everywhere, riot police, horses, billy clubs, police dogs and that was just after the game. The game itself was enchanting. Down below, were all the players doing what they did best.  Up above were all of us, witnessing the magic. I wish that I could have enjoyed some stadium food, it is very expensive, and far more than I wanted to spend. This experience was about Casey, my oldest son. The day couldn't have turned out any better.    
     The day before a "big game", you can find the local supermarkets mobbed with people checking off their party lists, with me included. In fact those that look determined and self-confident, I follow and monitor what they throw in their carts.  Perhaps waiting for that super secret food of a sports party to be revealed. One year I tried chicken wings, but to tell you the truth, not sure I like chicken wings outside of an establishment that is famous for them. Pizza, nachos, and sliders are safe.
     This year I will do the sliders again, maybe some cheese and crackers. Hubby will want the cocktail shrimp and sauce, and everyone will want eggrolls by The Taste of Thai, they are to die for, and I am not kidding. Maybe I will try a hot dip of some sort this year.  I have a great one that I will share.
     Once,when I was at the Mall in Holyoke, they had a really cool eatery called Kaunaville, it was a themed restaurant, that included an elaborate game arcade. It featured a tropical motif, and the restaurant was adorned with Tiki idols, flashy waterfalls and fountains. It had a Disney feel, and the menu reflected many influences from the Mediterranean, Caribbean and Asia.  My husband and I, only ate there once and I was hooked. We shared the Island Blue Crab Dip, and along with the music, lights, waterfalls and arcade, the dip was exquisite. I had to recreate it.

Hot Crab Dip

1 16oz tub of Jumbo Lump Phillips Crab Meat
2 8oz packages of Philadelphia 1/3 less calorie "Neufchatel" cream cheese
1 onion finely diced
2 tbs butter
1 9oz package of Spinach
2 cloves of garlic finely diced
1 can of artichoke hearts, quartered
1 cup grated One year Cheddar
1/4 cup sherry
1 tbs fresh chopped parsley
2 tsps lemon juice
dash of tabasco
salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in saucepan and saute the onion and garlic, until the onions are translucent. Deglaze the pan with the sherry and cook until the sherry is almost evaporated. Add the spinach and cook on low heat until the spinach is all defrosted. Add the 2 packages of Neufchatel cheese and melt. Add the quartered artichoke hearts and crab. Add the chopped parsley,lemon juice, tabasco and season. Place in a greased oven proof dish, top with cheddar cheese and cook in 350F oven until cheese melted and dip is heated through.  Serve with crackers or garlic pita chips.

The biggest seller is cookbooks and the second is diet books-how not to eat what you've just learned how to cook.~Andy Rooney

0 comments:

Post a Comment