Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wizard of Oz~ Dr. Oz. Am I the only one connecting here?


      So we all know that I am a novice (at best), when it comes to tweaking a blog. There is a nifty little button called Edit HTML, that for some reason, draws me in. So, I go and next thing I know, I am swearing in my head at the screen, because I flubbed it up beyond recognition. We all know what happens next?, I press DELETE.

     It killed me last night to hit delete, I was so mad, because I caused my own hari~Kari. I stabbed my virtual blog with a katana. That is rough, when you ( in your own mind) feel that this was the "post", to outdo all other posts. Ya, who am I kidding..and the Oscar goes to.......

     Well to further highlight on the marshmallow world. I make a Almond Joy marshmallow. This mallow is the fastest selling marshmallow, and I have a hard time keeping it in stock. I will give you the gist, and let you be the judge.

     But before that, I want to share with you what I heard on the "Dr.Oz Show" yesterday. Just a side note, I adore Dr. Oz!!  Anyway his show is super informative in the "health" aspect of one's life. He never disappoints me. In fact yesterday, I found out that all the grumpy women in my town~just needed to get some sleep. I do fall into that "grumpy women" category when Giggle, my cat has insomnia.
     Any who, enough about the Grumps. He was talking about coconut oil, and how it for one, helps in weight loss! The weight loss means, switching the olive oil out, and replacing it with the coconut oil. I have no response here. I might have a hard time, cooking with that, when it represents, warm nights, tans, and anything remotely connected with Hawaii. Oh well, there are two other Benny's. The second one, you can rub it on your skin and it helps dry skin, it is an emollient.
     I understand that one, only because I am like two stair steps from the Snow Miser's house. Although, my friends in the Midwest are one step away. (sorry Tricia) Anyway, the third and most disturbing benefit, it can stomp out the nasty bacteria H. pylori, the bacteria that can cause the peptic ulcer infection. If you have kids and bills, and your stress or the level of stomach acid (which I like to call stress) is through the roof~ you might be infected with H. pylori. For some reason, I want to get some fungal foot spray. The culprit, does not sound like the result.
     Again, I am easily distracted. I like to watch the health shows, I am a sucker for all things, that enhance my ability to self-diagnosis my self. In a single day, I can have Lupus, MS, and Fibromyalgia. But really all I need to do is get some sleep.  Stupid cat, I think I spoil him.
     Wow, I am distracted again. So I went to Hannaford's, the cleanest of the only two supermarkets in town. To peruse the selections of "coconut oils". Last night, I was under the impression that it was all over the place. I spent a good 20 minutes at the "oil" section, right next to the stuffing and shake and bake section. I still can't explain that connection. Guess what not there!!! I went to the hoity-toity section, you know the area where you find, Silk, Tofutti, Amy's (yada, yada) the area where everything cost about 5 dollars more. Just because it says, "All Natural", "Organic", "Gluten Free", and my personal favorite.."Devoid of everything, it started out to be".
     The coconut oil was there, and guess what!!!?? One jar $12.99 (the smaller jar). The second jar (unrefined) not sure what that means. $11.99. But curiously there was no jars. The third and last choice was the refined jar, slightly bigger than its $13 dollar cousin for $8.99. However, it was in its solidified state. I was not sure that I could swallow a tablespoon of this everyday. It looked very white and solid.  I walked away and went to the ice cream section, hopefully there is some coconut oil in that.

Almond Joy Marshmallows

4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup warm water
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cold water
6 level tablespoons gelatin
4 egg whites
3 tsps pure vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp coconut extract
1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
pan spray
heavy duty tinfoil
1 13x9 pan
powdered sugar for dusting

Prepare a 13x9 pan with heavy duty aluminum foil, liberally spray with pan spray and sprinkle all sides with powdered sugar. In a saucepan combine the granulated sugar, corn syrup and warm water and set on stove. In a standing mixer, add 1 cup cold water and sprinkle 6 tablespoons of gelatin over the cup of water, set aside. In another mixing bowl, whip the 4 egg whites with 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract till it forms still peaks, set aside. Heat the sugars and water, until the temperature with a candy thermometer reaches 240. In that standing mixer containing the bloomed gelatin and water, add the hot sugar and combine with a wooden spoon. Turn mixer on and graduate to high slowly. Mix on high till sugar becomes white, fluffy and double in volume. Add the whipped egg whites until combined, mix at high speed for a minute. Add toasted coconut, almond and coconut extracts and mix until well blended. Pour into a prepared 13x9 pan and sprinkle with powdered sugar and let set overnight. Turn out next day, cut and enjoy.

Ideas should be clear and chocolate thick. Las cosas claras y el chocolate espeso. ~Spanish Proverb






0 comments:

Post a Comment