Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Importance of Trying to be Lazy

     Today, I enjoyed a much needed day off, only trouble is that I slept half of it away.  My interpretation of sleeping the day away, is vastly different from say; a teenager or young adult that can literally sleep for sport.  In all actuality, I tried until 8:30am to sleep, after which I gave in to my inner voice that reminded me, I was being lazy.

      So, where is the TV remote? Ever notice, when you need the remote, it is hidden in some far away corner of the couch, along with every sock and pen you ever owned? Twenty minutes later, remote in hand, I settle in. Now, for the love of Pete, where is the volume controller? After 40 minutes of locating everything needed to be a proper couch potato I was ready to get lazy! It was my day "off" after all, minus the 40 minutes of hunting for the remotes and the hour between 7am and 8am to get my two sons off to school,  I think I had cleared my schedule!  

    What to watch? I decided no crying so, Intervention, Heavy, Biggest Loser, and any Lifetime movies, or as my hubby so eloquently puts it "Chick Flicks" were out.  Also, I am only speaking for myself here, when I say, I can only take so much Reality TV. The situations are always the same, just the names and faces change. Proving my theory, that talent is not a factor in hiring anyone for Reality TV. Let's watch a movie!

     Wow, now it is 10am and I have been looking for a good movie to watch for an hour! Pick one already, it not like your picking out a new car? I am trying to adhere to my "no crying" rule, and resisting the urge to watch some person, build the largest cheeseburger in the world and then eat it.

     So I settled on a nice B movie. I concentrated really hard to follow what little story line the movie had, but my inner voice kept nagging  me saying, "Gee, you think the floor might sweep itself?", so I turned up the volume a little. Meanwhile, my fat, not so bright cat Giggle has begun to pass gas further degrading the ambiance I was trying to achieve.
    
 My day had turned into a meatball, and it was time to rebel. First, I did not take a shower, that is what body spray is for, and by cracky, I used it. Second, I went to Hannaford's with no makeup,  by the way, when you skid into your 40's, makeup is the co-pilot. Third  I wanted pasta, taboo for me, but there was no stopping this rebel. Meatballs, pasta, butter and more butter, and if my family did not watch out, I might just stay up after 10pm. 

Mama's Day Off Meatballs

1  Vidalia onion
10 cloves of garlic
2 to 2 1/2 fresh white bread crumbs
3 ozs olive oil
1 bunch fresh parsley, rinsed and chopped finely
2 tablespoons dried basil
6 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
healthy grinding of cracked black pepper (if you have a grinder, only way to go) otherwise use butcher grind.
salt to taste

In a food processor, mill the onions and garlic with the olive oil until fine. In a large bowl, add the ground meat with the onion mixture, add the eggs, heavy cream, dried basil, parsley, black pepper, salt and Parmesan and mix well. Add the bread crumbs, if the meatballs seem a little soft add some more. Roll into balls, slightly smaller than an egg. Cook on a greased cookie sheet in a 350F oven for about 45 minutes and then enjoy.

A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat. ~Old New York Proverb














      

0 comments:

Post a Comment