Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dog Days of Summer


    The summer is a time when your life becomes much easier. No ice scrapers to carry, no boots, hats, mittens or cars to dig out. You can freely get around, whenever you like.

    The last three days I have been work free, no worries, no responsibilities or issues. Ample opportunity to laze around, with my laze on. It was far easier to laze around when I was younger. Now if I attempt to laze around, say for example,in a bed, my hips start to hurt, and I just can't get comfortable. Might be different if I had a Swedish Tempurpedic, but alas, I just have an average run of the mill bed.

     Lazing around requires a minimum knowledge of lazing. Years ago, I could have been the poster child for laziness, however try as I might, my conscience gets the better of me now. Being lazy requires a non-compliance of my said agenda. That said agenda includes making the necessary fundage to take care of the little Gouldlets. Being lazy just is more work than it is worth these days.

     Last night, it was hotter than the hinges of Hell, and I could not for love nor money get comfortable. At 2:49 in the morning, I finally decided that sleeping in the livingroom, with the air conditioner was what I needed to do. There I lay, hyper aware that I was unable to sleep. 3am and then 4am, and finally 5am my husband came out, time to move back into the bedroom, where thankfully, it had cooled down. New problem, try not to fall too deep to sleep, otherwise you are going to be late for work. I awoke at 7:06am, pissed off, tired and not ready to put my happy face on.

     So off to work I go, with the luggage under the eyes. If it was not for iced coffee, I am not sure where I would be these days. Going back to work after having 3 days off, is nothing short of torture. Trying to get back into the swing of things was crippling at best.
    
    Today, you could have cut the air with a knife, it was that humid. So humid, that the humidity dripped off the trees, and it was not even noon yet. Yuck!!! The day was business as usual, and the sky loomed overhead, threatening a beating later on. Days like these, I just want to curl up in a refrigerator with a blanket, a fat sandwich and good book.

     Movie rentals to return, catering equipment to drop off, and dinner to plan. Today was a day for a salad and grilling. No heating up the tinderbox for supper.
Bacon and Ranch Potato Salad

5 pounds baby red potatoes
1 pound applewood smoked bacon
1/2 cup diced celery
1 package of ranch dressing mix
2 cups of mayonnaise
2 ozs mustard
1 tsp celery seed
2 ozs sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes until soft, drain and cool. In a pan, cook bacon until crispy and drain. Dice cooled potatoes, and add crumbled bacon. Dice celery and add to potatoes. Season with mustard,celery seed, sweet pickle relish and salt and pepper. Mix the package of ranch dressing mix with mayonnaise and sour cream and mix well. Add this mixture to the potato mixture and combine well. Adjust seasonings, chill and serve.

Being a child at home alone in the summer is a high-risk occupation. If you call your mother at work thirteen times an hour, she can hurt you. ~Erma Bombeck








0 comments:

Post a Comment