Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Thursday, September 1, 2011

GOODNIGHT IRENE

     Well as usual per my rain cloud somewhere out there,that hangs at the ready to ruin my pre planned plans. We are having not just a little rain incident, but for crying out loud, we are  going to experience in the next 36 hours an event that has not happened on the east coast since 1944. Wow, that is very comforting.

    What is worse is I live in a trailer park, OMG she said it, she lives in a trailer park. Yes I do, and again who cares, I am not throwing money away to a landlord. Wait? that is an idea..perhaps I should be a landlord it is a win win. But seriously our drainage is not the best and now I have to worry about my kitty, home, garden and my newly planted weeping goat willow. Yep figures!  The moment I get a hunger for gardening and actually plant a tree, a major hurricane hits the East Coast in like 100 years, figures.

     My family and I were supposed to travel to Maine and visit my parents this weekend, and between the time that I went to Walmart at 4:30 and the time that I arrived home at 5:30, it was clear that I was going nowhere.  At 9pm Thursday August 25th, they were evacuating nursing homes in New York City. That is a wee bit more than disturbing.

     So here we are in the process of buttoning down our trailer?, however we are a spits throw from the Whetstone Brook, that is even less than comforting. In years past we were evacuated at 2 plus inches of rain, this time around we are facing a minimum of 6 inches.

     This paragraph is the aftermath of the mini hell that I have been through the last 5 days. I am the blessed one.  There are those that are spit's throw from me, that have lost their homes, businesses, and everything in between, due to the awesome force of water.

     Currently, we have a young man missing since Saturday, August 27th, walking up Route 9,  the worst road to repair just in Brattleboro. The last 5 days have been intermittent tears and gratitude. But, at the end of the day it still does not erase those that have lost EVERYTHING. I have a hard time sleeping with power, that is how close the heartbreak touches. There will be no recipe here, because my world has been shaken, and I had a family during it, my husband that has broken his back the last four days to fix what has been broken , my two sons 9 and 15 who have absorbed the tragedy in their own ways. No one should have to endure the emotion that my two boys have had to shoulder. This is why I cry.  No one expected it to hit Vermont, but it did and the people that I care about Virginia, Bob, Antoinette, Beverly, Shirley, the list is endless are left behind to absorb the tragedy and move on? This is what is wrong with our community, we assume that everyone is OK, when inside ourselves we are not OK. Please help the Red Cross in Vermont with the recovery in Vermont.  There is strength in numbers.

What saves a man is to take a step.  Then another step.  It is always the same step, but you have to take it.  ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Wind, Sand and Stars, 1939, translated from French by Lewis Galantière

0 comments:

Post a Comment