Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I got the Dough, Now Let's Roll

     Work was very chaotic today, because single-handed, Mrs. O'Connor came in and ordered 22 dozen Christmas cookies, throwing our mojo all out of whack. I told Jasmine, she better get on the telephone and track down our fearless leader Barb, and give her a heads up on the cookie order. That many cookies requires some time to organize. Tis the season, for ridiculously decorated cookies, that are more expensive to make than sell. In this little piece of heaven, 22 dozen cookies in one shot, is big for us.

     I enjoy this time for year, in the cooking arena, because it is the time of overindulgence, myself included. Last night at the mall, I so wanted to peruse the food court and size up my meal. But the food court, was beyond sketchy. The scene reminded me of when Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick got on the wrong bus from the carnival and ended up at the bottom of the ocean. I know this because, Nickelodeon is a staple in my house. In fact, I have watched Nick Cannon grow up and marry Mariah Carey, and Kenan Thompson become a member of SNL.  SNL has never been the same without Will Ferrell, Chris Kattan, and Molly Shannon, that is just my humble opinion.

     When I was full-blown in the 365 days a year restaurant, I always had this feeling of foreboding surrounding Christmas. I felt like I couldn't fully get in the Christmas spirit, because I knew that I would never experience what my husband experienced with the boys. I had two choices: go in really early, and get out around 2, 3, or 4 and miss the boys opening their gifts. Or going in late to see the boys open their gifts, but closing the kitchen and eating Christmas dinner out of a to-go container, coming home and my boy's asleep. I always felt cheated, but everyone that was working along with me, also felt cheated.

     Now, I work in a great establishment, my boss is a retired 7th grade math teacher, she understood from the beginning, how important it was to be with my sons on Christmas. I am truely blessed, in all aspects of my life. I am grateful for the experience that I got at the Putney Inn. I worked under some very gifted individuals, and I learned valuable information, that I still carry with me. Many people have enhanced my career, Ann, Norman, Greg, Alan just to name a few.

     This time of year, cookies are shipped to every part of the world, little tiny buttons of love, so delicate and pretty! Well, enough of that. Here is a cookie that is a meal and you might have to pay an extra shipping charge.

The Christmas Cookie That You Can Only Eat Just One Of

1 cup butter softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsps vanilla
2 eggs
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups white chocolate chips
1 cup crushed peppermint candies
1 drop of green food coloring to make them look Christmasy

In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients together and whisk with a whip to evenly distribute. Set the bowl aside. In a mixer blend the butter, vanilla and sugars. There is no need to cream, we are not looking to incorporated a lot of air. When well mixed add the eggs and continue to mix, being sure to scrape down the sides. Add the drop of green food coloring, and all the dry ingredients, and mix until all flour is incorporated. The dough will be dense. Add the chips and candy just long enough to get through the dough. Turn out on a clean surface and work the dough for about 5 minutes. Scale your cookies to weigh about 6 1/2 ozs. If there is extra dough just add a little to each cookie. Bake on a cookie sheet in a 350F oven until golden brown. Hint: you want the inside to be slightly underdone this is what makes this cookie irresistible.




        God gave the angels wings, and he gave humans chocolate.~Author Unknown

4 comments:

Kimber Leszczuk. said...

These sound really good! Thank you for the recipe!

Nelmitravel - Nelieta Mishchenko said...

Njam!! Thank you for sharing!!!

http://www.nelietatravellingadventures.blogspot.com

Movilizando Misioneros said...

OK, after closing my 10 years old medical practice , I am all into being a mommy. I do appreciate this recipe and I will try it. Now, could I substitute the peppermint candy for something else? Need some ideas, we would prefer something different (maybe shredded coconut for a tropical Christmas flavor?) Need your help.
Thanks, Dr. M www.quierosersaludable.com
By the way, love your blog!

Unknown said...

No rules, in cooking!!! One man's trash is another's treasure.Although trash somehow denotes stupidity, no just a different aspect, like a diamond.

Post a Comment