Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Speak Softly and Carry a Big Can of Pan Spray

        Of course, you know that, I could not stop at just making divinity. I had to take candy making to the nth degree, and it bit me in the keyster today, and at all times, when we were trying to close. I have incited a fever where I work, and it is the Christmas fever. There is a buzz down there, and it is the Holiday buzz. Normally in the morning, I am as regular as the rain, drop the youngest son off to school, take Williams Street to Flat Street, bypassing all buses, and or students hurrying to school. It is a relatively uneventful drive. However, last night trying to sleep with the candy fever on the brain was tough. Every time I was lucid during the night, my mind immediately focused on Jolly Ranchers and the fact that I could melt them, combine them and make them into all kinds of twisted treats. Occasionally, I had an intermission where my brain would focus on getting red and green Jello, and holiday M&M's. I awoke this morning with three thoughts, tell someone about the Jolly Ranchers dream, find the candy recipe that includes red and green jello, and last but not least stop at Walmart for holiday M&M's.
     On the way to work, it was like I was on autopilot. Walmart check, red and green Jello check, oops, bump in the road, should I get strawberry or cherry Jello?, that little mistake cost me five minutes. I can hear my husband now saying "who cares Paige, it is red Jello, you came here for red Jello right?" but it is about the taste, so strawberry it is. Satisfied with my choice, I headed for the check out that passed the holiday candy. Realizing I was perusing on borrowed time, I quickly scanned the Christmas candy aisle with one mission, find the holiday M&M's. In the first thirty seconds, BINGO. I am off. Get to the check out and all of sudden the nearly empty store has the longest line, where did all these people come from?, and why on the earth are there lots of employees wandering around and only one check out line open, and...wait for it...wait.. I am in express line? There are no words to explain that, because we ALL have been there.
     I fly into work, and the first words out of my boss's mouth, as I hold up my coveted treasure is, "Where did you find the holiday M&M's, I was just there, and I really looked?", I am not sure how to answer that, because we all know how my boss shops, with a hockey stick and a blindfold. With her there is no relaxed observation skills, a "I am browsing", or "look at me, I am browsing" could never be associated with her. 
     Let's fast forward about 6 hours, we are just about on top of the lunch hour, and the phone is ringing off the freaking hook, all asking the same question, "What are your soups of the day?", or my favorite, "Can, I place an order?", I am up to my eyeballs in sugar, dishes, and "what table has the hot chai?",when it dawns on me, it is FRIDAY. Never, never, never start anything with any technique involved whether it is "never-fail" recipe or not. Fridays where I work,  can turn ugly rather quickly. To us it seems like, all the customers get together in the parking lot and decide to walk in together. We are ambushed every time. With a "D'oh" look on our faces.  Ha ha, some things never change.
     Fast forwarding almost four hours, the gum drops are done!, we pull them out of the fridge, and followed the recipe. That was a mistake. When a recipe is vague and the instructions are too general, steer clear. Just getting them out of the pan, was a chore. Finally they are loosened and on to the "waxed paper" they go. What we should have done, was opened the window, flopped them out into the parking lot and started over.  Well, now they are BEYOND stuck to the waxed paper, both Jasmine and I resorted to dipping our fingers in hot water and pulling on the waxed paper at the same time. Let me tell you, it is the closest thing to a Brazilian wax than you can get.  As I type this my fingers are still dyed red from the strawberry Jello.
     Here are a few pointers to making homemade gumdrops. First spray everything with pan spray,except the floor, because today I almost broke my neck. Second, spray everything with pan spray. Third, throw out the waxed paper, use parchment, and spray everything with pan spray. Never think that you are Martha Stewart, and can make cute little gumdrop snowflakes. Ditch that pipe dream, boil some water and get a pizza cutter.  Last but not least, get some pan spray. It truly is a gumdrop's best friend.

Gumdrops

5 cups sugar
3 cups applesauce
4 (3oz) packages of red or green gelatin
4 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
3 tsps lemon juice
PAN SPRAY

In a saucepan combine 4 cups of sugar and the rest of ingredients and mix well. Set aside without touching for one minute. While that is sitting. Get a 13x9 pan and spray the HELL out of the pan, when you might think it is enough, spray it more. Heat the jello mixture to a boil over medium high heat, when it comes to a rolling boil, boil for exactly one minute. Remove from heat and pour into prepared pan. Chill for three hours. When done, release from pan and flip out onto parchment sprayed with pan spray and cut into squares using a pizza cutter dipped in very hot water. Allow to sit out for at least eight hours. Dredge in remaining sugar, until well coated. Store in airtight container and enjoy.


Law of the Alibi: If you tell the boss you were late for work because you had a flat tire , the very next morning you will have a flat tire. ~Author Unknown

1 comments:

Kate said...

Thanks for the add! Looking forward to reading all about your yummy food ideas! :)

Post a Comment