Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Aw Nuts! It's My Sister's Birthday Again

     Peanut Butter is the quintessential family food, except for the cutie pie above. She is deathly allergic to peanut butter. This is my younger sister's daughter, Brooke and thankfully they found out she was allergic by a kiss from her Mom (my sister Amanda).

     The cowboy is Peter, what a great guy. Amanda deserved a good person, to see the same things that her family saw. Amanda is the best sister that I could have ever hoped for or even deserved at times. It is tough when you are the oldest sibling, you pave the way. Making mistakes and learning from only yourself. I hope that I was a good example of what not to do.

     This was my sister's wedding day, November 3, 2001. I was pregnant with Kerry who was awaiting his debut on Valentine's Day 2002. This moment will forever be engraved on my heart. The wedding was very moving, and the happiness that swelled from my heart, I surely thought I would explode. My parents who I sat next to (btw, you both were stunning) were as emotional as I was. This was "the wedding". Remember I got married by a justice of peace, so there were no effigies of that day. This was the day, to outdo all days. Anyway, I digress...again.

     Peanut butter Fudge! Peanut butter sometimes mirrors the consistency of chocolate and really is richer in my opinion. When I boil the mixture for peanut butter fudge, I have to sit right on it. Otherwise I will have a burned mess on my hands. The 6 minutes boiling time is also up for debate. Peanut butter and boiling causes it to release its moisture faster, for some reason. So as I have toyed and experimented with the recipe, I found a lower temperature achieves a good result.

         Just look at how thick it is, from a camera's point of view. You can tell the mixture is thick by the bubbles, they are very concentrated and look heavy.  Very different if you were making maple walnut fudge. Temperature control is paramount to this fudge.
     When mixing in the powdered sugar you can see the consistency, it is thick. Peanut butter makes it thick. I have learned by making LOTS of mistakes. If I had a nickel for the mistakes that I have made throughout my career, I could retire, never to work again
Peanut Butter Fudge

3 ozs of butter
5 ozs creamy peanut butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
healthy squirt of pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
4 cups(plus a little more) powdered sugar
1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts

Chop peanuts and set aside. In a heavy bottomed pan combine sugars, salt, butter, peanut butter, milk and extract. On medium heat bring the mixture to a boil. You want to boil ideally for 6 minutes, but you might need to monitor the temperature, from medium high to medium low. When done, add to a standing mixer and add the powdered sugar, judge how thick it is by lifting the paddle, if it solidifies rather quickly it is done. If it doesn't add more powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time, to get the desired effect. Add the peanuts, pour into a prepared pan and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Turn out of the pan cut and serve.  
I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon.~ Author Unknown

1 comments:

Kate said...

YUM! That fudge looks amazing. I also love the photo of your sister's wedding, very pretty!

Post a Comment