Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Friday, January 14, 2011

Every Friday Afternoon

     Fridays you can always count on the regulars swooping in, for the traditional last lunch before the weekend. It can get out of hand very quickly, if you are stocked, prepped and ready to go, it usually is manageable. People come up and order, then we prepare your order, and bring it to your table. The counter does not have too much room, causing the feeling of claustrophobia for us.


     This weekend we are getting ready for the Bridal Gala at the Quality Inn in Brattleboro. Fingers crossed that the brides fall in love with us. I wish that I could go, but Barb says you have to pay to get in, and most likely be a bride. Ha, I avoided the whole wedding thing, because I had issues with being noticed and what a way to be noticed, by being a Bride. Barb made tiny mini cupcakes of all flavors of cake we offer. Jasmine decorated a dummy cake, so that the couples can see the talent that those two possess. Tomorrow I plan on posting some pictures of the process they went through.

     I love making soup, it is a complete marriage of flavors and something that can not be rushed. In fact, I have a soup cookbook half-written that I work on from time to time. I look forward to sharing the soups that I have created over the years.  I need a bit of fine tuning, and life definitely is a learning process. Who knew I would get my crap together at 40?, being a bit pig-headed, I already thought I did have my crap together. I understand the statement "Life begins at 40", now.

     My kids, are for the most part self-sufficient and can tell me very clearly ( these times I wish they were babies still) what is wrong. Big plus, not having to travel with a luggage trunk of the various accouterments that a baby needs. No car seat, diapers, formula, bottles, wipes, infant Tylenol, blankets, mittens, hats, toys, etc, etc. Just me and my two clutter free hands. But enough about my new found independence.

     I made Turkey and Wild Rice Soup today and I am going to show you how. Buckle up it is going to be a bumpy ride.
    

Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

2 1/2 cups rough chopped celery
2 1/2 cups rough chopped onion
2 1/2 cups peeled and rough chopped carrots
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup turkey fat, saved from when you roasted the turkey(and all the yummies that are on the bottom of the pan, DO NOT throw away)
4 cups diced turkey
2 containers of turkey stock
1 1/2 cups of wild rice blend
2 tsps dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste 


In a stock pot heat the turkey fat saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic until the onions are slightly translucent add the two cans of tomatoes and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add all the dripping from cooking the turkey and the turkey stock. Bring to a simmer and add the bay leaves and rice and simmer until the rice is done. Remove the bay leaves and season with thyme, salt and pepper. I myself like to add a little cornstarch slurry, to sort of thicken the soup up like Campbell's Chunky soup. I would start out with 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water and whisked into the boiling soup.  Ladle into your favorite bowls, snuggle up with your favorite book and enjoy.


Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure.~ Murphy's Law

1 comments:

Janis said...

I love the photo of all the big guys looking up from their lunch. What a warm looking place I would love hanging out there.

Post a Comment