Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday=Crack of Dawn=Are the donuts ready? (I am not kidding)

     Want to hear a secret about me? I am obsessed with being challenged. It started almost two years ago, when Mike, Barb's husband came sauntering in the back door with cider donuts and two really good looking pies. The pies, not interested. That is Barb's gig, and I have learned to cross-over when invited. However donuts!! or Dog nuts, as Mike so eloquently puts it. This is new ball of wax.

     One thing chefs know, is how to fry. We can fry just about anything, and we will, when we are in a pinch. I know nothing about BLT'S. But let me tell you another little secret. There comes a time when the line, miscounts the bacon quota~and well you know the rest. I am guilty I did it!!!, it's like pork rinds. Amazing how I get on to pork, when I as supposed to be discussing donuts.

     For some reason living in this area, I anticipate the Paczki at Price Chopper. They start to show themselves around Lent, and it is all I can do to resist these fluffy fried fruit pockets of heaven. I am drooling just thinking about getting my hands on one. Which reminds me of King Cake, which a whole separate can of worms.

There are two types of donuts, the raised type. like my love the Paczki and the cake type, which I make. Which was the type of donut, that came in the back door that fateful day. (thanks Mike)
When you don't have a solid recipe to work from, you start to compare and contrast. Thank Goodness for Mike Lynch (Hi, Jeanette, giving you a shout-out) he minced no words with me. He was not afraid to tell me it was crap. I did hear that a lot in the beginning. But I toyed with the liquid and the sugar and eventually I got the right chemistry. Now I just need, not to try and one up myself. I hear my Dad, "If it is not broke, don't fix it". Easier said than done.
     The Best Apple Spice Donuts, as long as I don't try to outdo myself! and I hear about it!!!!
1 whole egg
1 cup granulated sugar
1 healthy squirt vanilla extract
1 1/2 oz melted butter
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup buttermilk, maybe more if dough is dry: needs to be slightly tacky
4 cups of all-purpose flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon nutmeg
2 tsps ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cardamon
oil for frying
cinnamon sugar for dusting

In a dry bowl whisk all the dry ingredients together and set aside. There is not need to sift, because a whisk will achieve the same affect. In a fairly decent mixer, add the eggs, sugar and vanilla and whip until light and frothy. To the mixer add the melted butter and mix until well incorporated. Next add the applesauce, it will suddenly get runny it is OK, it is the applesauce. Next add the flour and buttermilk alternately until all is incorporated. If it is a tight dough add a 1/4 cup at a time buttermilk, and if too runny 1/4 flour. It really depends on the time of year, and the humidity. The dough should be slightly tacky. Heat your oil, it should hover around 375F to 350F and fry donuts, when the edges are brown flip and fry an additional 3 to 7 minutes depending how much your oil temperature has dropped. Drain and dredge in cinnamon sugar. I like to drain the donuts in a cardboard box, it soaks up all the oil. Any questions? please refer to my e~mail : eyecancookit@gmail.com  I will attempt to help.









There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.~ Author Unknown

0 comments:

Post a Comment