Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Healthy fries~oxymoron?


Healthy, what is your definition of healthy?  Here is the Merriam-Webster definition~ adjective: 1. enjoying health and vigor of body, mind or spirit. 2. evincing health. 3. conducive to health and 4.(my personal favorite) prosperous, flourishing not small and feeble.
 Its funny how we all sat in health class being saturated with information on being healthy, and I can say half of us were listening, surprise, surprise I was in the non-listening group. When you are 13 and 14 years old the last thing on your mind is being middle-aged. In fact, it never enters your mind, because the mind is cluttered with being liked, accepted and having fun.  Wisdom is a thing of the future. We are still muddling through life trying to discover what we want to be.  I wanted to be a chef, I adored Julia Childs and Martin Yan, and every Saturday afternoon, I was planted in front of PBS (before the days of Food Network and the Cooking Channel) to watch the magic. In the those days, I learned how to make Buche de Noel and my father learned that I could destroy the kitchen and launch frosting on the ceiling.  Wisdom it comes much later, along with cellulite and laugh lines.
The thing is, we all at some point question our own mortality and the consequences for living like there is no tomorrow. It happens, we get up dust ourselves off and get right back on that horse. We get our own personal do-over, this is my do-over.  I am going to do over cuisine's guilty pleasures and with hope and faith lose weight in the process.
So let's talk french fries....love them with gravy(no more of that) and cheese..let's make them healthy:

2 good sized russet potatoes, peeled or not
Olive oil to lightly coat
McCormicks rotisserie chicken spice
salt to taste

Preheat your oven to 450F, and scrub your potatoes, they were lying in dirt.
Peel or not peel your potato, but cut each side so the potato resembles a rectangle.  Slice the potatoes lengthwise in slices about 1/2 inch thick.  Stack the slices on top of each other and cut into 1/2 inch sticks.Pat the sticks dry with a paper towel and place in a bowl and toss with olive oil and chicken spice.  Place the potatoes in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until crispy.  Season with salt and serve.  You can add some granulated garlic,cayenne and Parmesan cheese to in the words of Emeril "Kick it up a notch!"


I'm trying to eat better. And, I do feel wise after drinking tea.  After eating vegetables I just feel hungry.~ Carrie Letat

0 comments:

Post a Comment